Saturday, July 25, 2015

KISS - DRESSED TO KILL


Historically, DRESSED TO KILL is a different than any other KISS album, as the album was produced by Casablanca President, Neil Bogart, which to some, is part of the reason for the albums shortcomings.  Personally, I am not sure how anyone could consider DRESSED TO KILL a bad record?  Of the first three releases, DRESSED TO KILL remains, to this day, my ‘go-to‘ record.
    Close to my heart for many reasons, DRESSED TO KILL contains one of the most underrated, but amazing album cover designs of the entire KISS catalog.  The juxtaposition of the dress suits and the makeup, set against the black and white New York Street setting is amazing.  Not to mention the track listing, which is beyond cool.  “Two Timer” is by far, my favorite Gene Simmons song of all time.  For that fact alone, in my eyes DRESSED TO KILL is a classic,  I have always viewed, DRESSED TO KILL as the best of ‘The Originals’  Sadly, I could do without ever hearing “Rock and Roll All Nite” again, but that’s another story, for another wax…


ROUNDTABLE OF THE ELDERS

  • What do you think came first, the album title, or the cover design?
RH - I have always imagined that the (now infamous) cover photo shoot came first.  Born from a magazine photo shoot, in which the members of KISS entered a phone booth in business suits and emerged as ‘KISS’, I truly would like o believe, management liked this photo shoot so much, they decided to use the ‘street suit’ photo as the album cover.  I also want to believe someone (management) saw them in the suits and boldly exclaimed, “You boys are dressed to kill!“   They certainly were…

  • Do you think the financial state of the record company had anything to do with the finished product?
RH - I think pennies were more than likely being pinched by the recording of DRESSED TO KILL.  Given the fact that Neil Bogart produced the album, makes me believe, budgets were a big deal.  Also given the fact that the “Superman” photo shoot that resulted in the ending album cover (street post) pose was not included in the album, is a head scratcher?  The concept of that photo shoot is so cool, you would have thought it would have been included in the album, either as part of a gatefold (comic), or would have been placed on the record sleeve itself.  Instead, we got next to nothing.  One photo on the front cover, and it’s negative image on the back.  Some embossing around the corners.  The DRESSED TO KILL album cover was very minimal, and I believe this was due to the fact that times and money were tight in the Casablanca offices. 


  • What tracks from the album should have been left on the editing room floor?
RH - I have never liked “Anything For My Baby” and to this day I question why it was included.  I predict, this was a Neil Bogart decision, hoping for a bubblegum hit.

No comments: