Friday, January 2, 2015

KISS - HOTTER THAN HELL (1974)

HOTTER THAN HELL was the last KISS album I ever purchased, completing my collection.  For whatever reason, I purchased every other album in the collection before adding HOTTER THAN HELL to my roster.  My mistake.  HOTTER THAN HELL, is the perfect basement record.  There is something so cheap and dirty about HOTTER THEN HELL, it oozes rock power.  HOTTER THAN HELL has the perfect sound.  If I were to ever record an album with a band of my own, this is the album I would emulate.  The perfect sounding record from beginning to end.


ROUNDTABLE OF THE ELDERS…

Do you think KISS recording HOTTER THAN HELL in Los Angeles vs. New York had any impact on the songs? 
RH - I definitely think it had an impact on the album, however I don‘t think it was due strictly to recording in Los Angeles.  I feel that life on the road during the first KISS tour had a huge impact on the songs and the direction the band was going to take on their follow up record.  Unlike the first album, the songs on HOTTER THAN HELL had a more ‘party’ feel.  I think at the time of the recording the band was young, living their dream, and having the time of their lives.  The demands and pressure of the business had not yet set in.  Life was a party, and it was reflected on the album, and most definitely reflected on the back cover and photo outtakes.  L.A. life at it’s finest. 

What is your favorite song from HOTTER THAN HELL?
RH - All The Way

No comments: