Saturday, July 25, 2015

KISS - THE ALIVES...

When anyone discusses ‘live albums‘, one of the records that is always mentioned, even for non-KISS fans, is 1975‘s, KISS ALIVE!, which could very well be considered the best ‘live’ record of all time.  Granted, a lot of what is actually ‘live’ on these records is up for debate, however, for our purposes here this evening, we will disregard that and just concentrate on three pivotal albums in the KISS catalog, ALIVE, ALIVE II, and ALIVE III.




KISS - ALIVE:
    Without a doubt, its no wonder that kids around the globe suddenly became interested in playing guitar and forming garage bands after hearing this album.  I have to rate this album of the bands ‘classic’ albums.  The track listing was pulled from the first three albums (which were the classic originals), and the band was simply on fire.  The comforts of success and money had yet to creep in, and ALIVE! proved to be a raw, violent, live capturing of the band that was dead set on taking over the world. The greatest ‘live’ record of all time? In my book…yes.

  • Would you consider KISS - ALIVE to be the greatest ‘live‘ record from a rock and roll band?  (If not than what is?) 
RH - I would have to say ALIVE!, and ALIVE II are my top favorite live albums.  Growing up, I loved Metallica’s LIVE SHIT, BINGE & PURGE, however, as time goes on, I find myself going to ALIVE and ALIVE II more than LIVE SHIT.  There have been a few scattered Bryan Adams live CD’s, I love, but those are more personal favorites.  Thus, when the 12 year old inside of me wants to play ’living room rock star’, ALIVE!, and ALIVE II are my go-to records.  

  • ALIVE! Is the first album to contain additional packaging.  How does the extra packaging compare to the other ‘extras’ in the KISS Catalog?
RH - ALIVE!, was the first record to contain a gatefold and ‘extra’ insert items within the album.  This is a pretty sweet idea, and a great way to increase public interest.  Compared to the other ‘extras’ included in KISS albums, the ALIVE!, inserts are very grass roots.  The special notes from the band members, wonderfully nudge the record buying public into having ‘a favorite member’, a marketing technique The Beatles made popular, and the notes only reinforce the fact that the members of KISS are four individuals with distinct (and quite bizarre) personalities.  The booklet contained in ALIVE!, is a genius idea, as it simply serves as a tour book, for a concert you are able to enjoy from the comfort of your own home, and also reinforces the fact that this is a concert you will not want to miss, the next time the band comes to your town.  On a personal note, the NOTES within the ALIVE!, record have had an impact on my life, as I have always included Gene’s Ellipses in my writings from the first day I ever held ALIVE!, in my own hands and dove into the album.  I had no idea what they were, or what purpose they served the English language, however, I thought they were cool, and continue to use them to the day…  


 
KISS - ALIVE II:
    After KISS ALIVE! blew KISS into the stratosphere, what followed was a slew of huge sellers, money, fame, and everything that comes along with being a rock star (pressure, envy, etc…)  ALIVE II, in a way captures all of that perfectly.  It‘s a little faster paced than ALIVE, more energetic, and more frantic.  The audience seems to be going more nuts (which in 1977 they would have been), and KISS seems to be feeding off of that energy wonderfully. 
    One reason I loved ALIVE II, more than any other record of the ALIVE series, is single handedly the fourth side. Now, I can’t recall if the 4th side was completed to prevent KISS from repeating songs that had been included on ALIVE!, or it was just a marketing ploy to get kids to buy yet another ‘live’ record from the band they had just purchased a ‘live’ record from two years prior?  Whatever the case…it worked.  God bless them.  The fourth side of ALIVE II is amazing.  Simply powerful.  Some of the greatest songs KISS has ever put on record.  Not to mention, the album cover and gatefold, make it clear to any kid holding the record, you are in love with the greatest rock and roll band to ever live. 


  • What are your favorite tracks from the fourth side? 
RH - “All American Man”.  Paul Stanley swagger at it’s finest. 

  • What do you think would have happened if KISS would NOT have recorded the Solo Albums, and the fourth side would have been a Side 1 of a brand new KISS album?
RH - I daydream about this often.  I think KISS would have lasted well into the 80’s with the lineup in tact (for a little while at least).  Had this happened, I don’t think we would have ever received a DYNASTY or a MUSIC FROM THE ELDER.  I still think problems with Peter would have arose, but I do not think they would have been as bad.  I think the lack of success of the Peter Criss Solo LP had a lot to do with his sudden decline in enthusiasm during the writing, recording and touring for DYNASTY.  I think we would have seen a completely different history of KISS.  However, I’m happy the way things turned out.  But, my, oh my, I would love to have heard what this untitled (4th Side - ALIVE II) would have sounded like as a full length album.  
 
  • Do you believe KISS would have self destructed as quickly as they had in the years following ALIVE II (had the Solo Albums been avoided)? 
RH - I definitely think the Solo LP’s led to the demise of the original KISS lineup.  The ACE FREHLEY SOLO LP made him a star.  Gene’s record thrust him further into his ‘Hollywood’ life, and Peter, (not being able to recreate a “Beth” type hit), drove him further and further away from the band. Although, the Solo LP’s are an amazing thing, I do believe, without a doubt, KISS would have lasted longer recording a KISS record after ALIVE II vs. the Solo LPs.  


KISS - ALIVE III
    ALIVE III was amazing, as enough time had passed that it became very refreshing to hear the band ‘live’ again and kicking ass on record.  Essentially, at the time of its release, the band was a brand new band, new songs could be added, and KISS had released, REVENGE, which was possibly the heaviest album they have recorded since 1982’s CREATURES OF THE NIGHTS. 
    Even more amazing, for we St. Joseph boys, was that KISS had just came to our town.  Let me repeat that…KISS came to OUR TOWN.  Crummy little St. Joseph, Missouri got a KISS concert!  WOW!  Words cannot express how cool this was for my friends and myself.  It was a gift from the rock and roll heavens.  Looking back, it is painfully obvious to see that financial reasons, and an ever changing record industry had forced KISS to play smaller markets, but forget that…For this moment in time, KISS was ours, and our little town was on the map. 
Although ALIVE III, is not my favorite of the ‘live’ albums, I have to say it has a special piece of my heart.  I see it as a memento of a time when my favorite rock and roll band came to my hometown, at a time, when I was very much dreaming my own rock and roll dreams of one day conquering the world. 
    Cheers to the innocence of youth…


  • What is your favorite track from the album? 
RH - “I Was Made For Loving You”.  Amazing to hear this on record, with a ‘heavy’ lineup of the band.  One of my ‘go-to’ tracks from the record. 


  • How do you feel ALIVE III measures up to it‘s predecessors? 
RH - If I was to rank the ‘ALIVES’ from my favorite to my least favorite (1 being the most favorite), I would list them as, ALIVE II (1), ALIVE! (2) and ALIVE III (3).  ALIVE II is just so much more cool than the rest.  The cover, the gatefold, the tattoo’s, all amazing!  ALIVE had the personal NOTES inside, which was a very cool touch, however ALIVE III lacked any goody inside.  For a time being there were rumors the album was to include tiny drumsticks and guitar picks.  Then, there were rumors the album would contain COUPONS for upcoming KISS CONVENTIONS to be scheduled sporadically around the country.  However, the album ended up, a simple release, followed by a VHS release, KISS KONFINDENTIAL.  End to end, packaging to track list, ALIVE II has my heart.  The best of the “Alives”…

No comments: