Thursday, July 30, 2015

KISS - DESTROYER...

Personally, I’ve never really been into DESTROYER.  Now, I know that by saying that, I may ruffle a few feathers, but to me this is the one album that just doesn’t click with me.  Cautiously I say, it’s because of this fact, DESTROYER is one of my least favorite records and one that I also consider to be the least, ‘fun’ of the KISS catalog. 
    The DESTROYER era was a huge time of growth for KISS.  They had toppled the Arena circuit, and were now attempting to prove themselves as world class musicians and songwriters among the rock and roll elite, that of course being the 1976 rock Gods, Led Zeppelin. 
    From that aspect, hats off to DESTROYER.  The album is a major accomplishment, and a truly genius rock and roll record, however to the point I’m attempting to make, it’s not a FUN record.  It doesn’t have that 'basement quality' of a HOTTER THAN HELL, or the ‘roll your windows down’ vibe of LOVE GUN.  Yes, there are some great songs, and yes, the album will always be celebrated. However, for my money, you need the entire picture, especially when it comes to KISS.  You need the loud guitars, you need the crushing drums, and you need the FUN.
    All the bitterness aside, I will affirm…”Detroit Rock City” had never sounded better than it did in Australia, 1980, recorded live for the Television Program, THE INNER SANCTUM.  Glory on high…had Bob Ezrin put forth that production value, we may be having a different conversation. 

ROUNDTABLE OF THE ELDERS...

  • Where does DESTROYER ranks on the scale of greatest KISS albums? 
RH - DESTROYER is one of my least listened to records.  Sometimes, I even think I listen to ANIMALIZE more than DESTROYER.  If I was to rank DESTROYER, it would definitely be in the bottom 5.  I know this won’t settle well with a lot of people, but it’s just never ‘done it’ for me, and a majority of that has to do with Bob Ezrin’s production.

  • Where do you think DESTROYER ranks on the scale of greatest KISS Album Covers? 
RH - I will say (minus the production value) of the album, I do think the songwriting on the album is great, furthermore, the album cover is amazing.  The DESTROYER album cover is so classic, so etched into history, it’s breathtaking.  That painting created by Ken Kelly is simply amazing.  Everything comic book art / horror movie poster art should be. I love it.  LOVE GUN remains my favorite album cover of all time (KISS-wise), however, I would say DESTROYER comes in at solid #3 (CREATURES OF THE NIGHT flying cool at #2). 

  • How would DESTROYER have differed produced by Eddie Kramer? 
RH - Had DESTROYER been produced by Eddie Kramer, I truly believe I would have loved the album.  The songwriting on the album is beyond cool.  Produced by Eddie Kramer?…I do believe we would have a solid rock and roll record on our hands.  Classic songs, with that classic Marshall Amplifier Rock and Roll Sound.  Bob Ezrin?…he got so artsy and atmospheric on the record, it borders the sound and production value of an Alice Cooper record, which works perfectly for Alice, but not so well for KISS (in my mind). 


1 comment:

kisskrazy80 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.