Thursday, January 1, 2015

KISS (1974)

Not only is KISS, the debut album from the band, it is also the one album that contains more KISS ‘live’ staples than any other album.  When a person discovers KISS, the 1974 debut album is more than likely be the first release to enter their collection.  I know it was that way for myself.  I certainly loved the songs.  They had a groove and a life I had not encountered before in any band I had dove into.  There was something different about these songs.  Little did I know it then, but they would end up being the soundtrack of my life.
Even beyond the music, I remember falling in love with the album cover.  Sure, the band had yet to nail down that polished KISS look we would come to know, but there was magic to that contrast of black, white and silver, not to mention the gleaming glitter studs of the KISS logo on the reverse side.   Early 70’s glory. 
I have always viewed the self titled debut album as KISS’ true classic album.  From the cover design, to the image of the band, to the song lineup, the album is at it’s core a straight ahead ‘classic album’.  “Strutter” alone sells the album.  To this day, if I were asked to define what a rock and roll song should be, my answer would be, “Strutter”.   That song changed me.  It made me idolize Paul Stanley, and helped me fall in love with KISS.




ROUNDTABLE OF THE ELDERS…

Would you consider KISS (1974)  a desert island album?
RH - Without a doubt.  This album is the perfect desert island disc.  It’s basically a KISS Greatest Hits (without being a Greatest Hits).  Quite possibly the most definitive album of the bands catalog. 

What two KISS albums would you use to describe to aliens what KISS is all about?
RH - If I were to show alien life what KISS was all about I would use KISS (1974) AND ROCK AND ROLL OVER.  To me, both of these albums capture KISS at their essence. 

No comments: