Saturday, January 12, 2019

Gene Simmons the Vampire

A friend of mine pointed out to me one day, that on the back of the trading cards that were included with THE ORIGINALS (1976), Gene was originally referred to as the 'Vampire'.  Somehow, I never really took notice to this fact, but lately, I find myself thinking about it more and more.  Possibly, due to the release of the Wave #2 Mego Action Figures being released, with the classic stand by names of, 'Demon', 'Starchild', 'Space Man', and 'Cat Man'.  Silly names, but I get it.  However, what I would love to understand, is why the change from the 'Vampire' to 'the Demon'?  To me (and my friend), the 'Vampire' is a much cooler name, and given Gene's look around 1975 to 1976, the name gives the character a much more darker image.  However, truth be told, regardless of the name used, I love the 'alter-ego' of Gene.  He invented a persona, and made the world believe it.  In my eyes, that is one of the coolest feats.  The following quote from the Lynn Goldsmith book, KISS 1977-1980, wraps up perfectly, what I find so magical about Gene Simmons.
"I never though respectability had any value whatsoever.  Think about the great iconic figures in cinema-for me in STAR WARS there is only Darth Vader.  Little boys all want to be big, strong, and scary like Frankenstein or King Kong and the girls just want to be the naked on he sniffs and holds in his palm."

2 comments:

kisskrazy80 said...

Rick do you have a facebook I have a Kiss blog & collect too

Anonymous said...

How does one contact you?