Friday, August 6, 2010

FINDING MY TALISMAN #3..


Around the time I was in the 1st and 2nd grade my heroes shifted to include not only the pop culture icons on the comic covers, but also the ones on the record sleeves. My first official "album" I ever owned was Rick Springfield's, WORKING CLASS DOG.  It was probably my love for everything 'dogs' that drew me to this record to begin with, spotting it in MUSIC LAND, and having that powerful draw from seeing it, to needing it.  Constant airplay of “Jessie’s Girl” on music television didn’t hurt either.  Even at an early age, I was somehow drawn to a lonely guy singing about a girl.  That ‘song for a girl’ melody/hook style of song writing burned inside of me, and for the first time I truly felt that music was mine.
    As the WORKING CLASS DOG album spun safely around the record player in our family room I began to envision myself as something more than just normal ol’ Ric Howard.  I vividly remember myself, tennis racket in hand (imaginary guitar), jumping up on our living room couch (imaginary lunch room table at school), and belting out a Rick Springfield tune to the girls in my class.  Life hadn’t felt this sweet in a long time.
    It wasn’t until a few years later, that the fascination with rock and roll became a full on obsession.  That calling card was all in part to the 45 record, released by Rick Springfield for his follow up LP, SUCCESS HASN’T SPOILED ME YET.  The single was “Don’t’ Talk To Strangers”, however it was my first introduction to an official ‘B-Side’ that shoved me to the floor.

    The song was called, "Tonight", and it was the first time I had experienced one of those ‘moments’, in which music physically moved me, and I had to be a part of it.  It was an amazing experience. I still feel that excitement whenever I hear the chorus of that song.  A truly unforgettable moment.

No comments: